How to get process model from MY webmethods and Integration

Hi All,

we have process models which have created long back and uploaded to the MY webMethods server from designer, now i need to get those process models back from my webMethods server and IS to designer and need to enhance the process steps, please any one help me to get those process model back to the designer.

Regards,
Anil kumar Ellendula

Hi Anil,

Any luck of coming up with a solution to this? Actually, this is really interesting if can be done.

→ Just to go over with your scenario again, you have:

- Existing Process Models uploaded to My webMethods Server 

→ Just to check with you, are these Process Models:

- Enabled ?
- Active (are in use and running) ?

→ What you said you want to do:

- Get the existing Process Models back from My webMethods Server and IS to Designer

Just for my better understanding, can I ask you the following questions :

-> What do you mean exactly by "get those process models back from My webMethods Server and IS" ?
- Do you mean that you want to do a reverse engineering based on the Process Models that you can see from MWS and the automatically generated source in Developer when you "build and upload" a process from the Designer?   
- Does this mean that you no longer have the Process Models source in the Designer?

If your answers to the above questions are all yes, I think it’s not going to be straight forward and it’ll be complicated and complex.

Going thru the steps in creating a process model and enabling it:

• To create a Process Model, we do it through the Designer.
  • Once we have defined the steps,transitions, behavior and other settings in our Process Model, we “build and upload for execution”. Doing this will automatically generate the corresponding codes in the Developer. If we check the codes, we’ll find that each process step has it’s respective flow service created. Also, the respective data for this process gets saved to the database.
  • For us to start using the process, we enable it from the My webMethods Server.

Given all the steps above, going thru each step from backwards, I dont think webMethods has that facility at the moment (based on the documents and my understanding on how to create and enable a process model).

• Rebuilding (Reverse engineering) your process model objects/components using raw data from the database, not only requires mastery of which data from which particular tables you need and should get. But more importantly, the question of how you will create the objects based on the raw data to bring back your process model and build it in such a way the Designer can interpret and read it - this will be complicated and requires a lot of programming on your part.

• I understand if the last and most unfavourable option is to re-create the process models anew from scratch, but in this case, I think it’s better to do it than develop your own program that’ll restore and recreate your process models back to the Designer.

I actually got somuch from the below documents:

• <webMethods-HOME_documentation\Designer{webM version}_Designer_BPM_Process_Development_Help.pdf
  • <webMethods-HOME_documentation\Monitor\8-0-SP1_Monitor_Users_Guide.pdf
  • <webMethods-HOME_documentation\Cross_Product\7-2_Getting_Started_with_Business_Process_Management.pdf

Anil, if i have misunderstood the scenario you posted and what you wanted to do, kindly give me some more detailed information, I’d be glad to help if I can.

Hope to hear from you soon.

All the best,
MAC

HI MAC,

long back i have created the process model in Designer and uploaded to MWS and enabled for execution and process model is enabled and used with lot of transaction.

Now requirement to enchance this processmodel with steps aproximetly 5-6 process steps more and need to remove 2-3 steps. now i did not have original process model in my designer, so i need to get it from MWS and DB tables and do enhance the process steps.

so help me necessary steps to follow -up at MWS , DB tables and IS side, to get the process model to designer, after enhancing more process steps while doing build and upload enhanced process-model what are the steps need to take-care at DB tables,MWS and IS side.

Regards,
Anil Kumar ellendula

Hi Anil,

My initial understanding about what you wanted to do was right. In this case, there’s really no way and as I’ve said in my previous post, webMethods does not have the facility and capability at the moment to do that kind of reverse engineering. The best way is to recreate anew the process models from the Designer. Also, as mentioned in my previous post, we use MWS to monitor our process models - we can see the process instance, whether it executed completely or failed and etc. Think of it as a UI (user interface) that gives us the facility to monitor/track our process models and display audit logs. Creation, modification and maintence of your process models codes are handled through Designer. Just like in any other development environment, we preserve the codes so that if we need to do some enhancements and for whatever reason there’s a need to recompile, then we have the source codes. And oftentimes to safegaurd the source codes we put them in a version control (CVS).

All the best,
MAC

MAc,

Thanks for Reply on my post, o.k i will create same new process model, can you please reply me if i publish new process model to MWS, it will override the exist processmodel which is used.

Regards,
Anil Kumar Ellendula

Anil,

You can do reverse engineering, but it is not recommeded.

You can get the blob from WMPROCESSDEFINITION table convert it into string and save as .process file and then import it into designer.

Thanks,
Puneet Saxena

2 Likes

It worked Thanks a lot

Hello Anil,
How did you resolve that issue?
I too stuck with same issue now.Currently we have process models and they are enabled in MWS as well,need to change one of the process models now.May I know how to do that and make it deployed once again in MWS.

Make sure you have the .process file. Load the same into designer and make the changes and re-build.

Use designer in process development perspective. Make sure you have the access to IS server were your process model code resides.

If i understand correctly,

you have process model in MWS up and running but you dont have .process file, if that is the case You can get the blob from WMPROCESSDEFINITION (dont forget to get latest deployed version) table convert it into string and save as .process file and then import it into designer. Every process will have processID which is not editable field, you cant do this by creating new process by copy paste stuff. Only way is you need to get that process from BLOB and import, make necessary changes, rebuilt and enable for execution.

Thanks
~Raj

If i understand correctly,

you have process model in MWS up and running but you dont have .process file, if that is the case You can get the blob from WMPROCESSDEFINITION (dont forget to get latest deployed version) table convert it into string and save as .process file and then import it into designer. Every process will have processID which is not editable field, you cant do this by creating new process by copy paste stuff. Only way is you need to get that process from BLOB and import, make necessary changes, rebuilt and enable for execution.

Thanks
~Raj

How do we convert the blob to String?

Through Oracle developer, try to export the blob coloum and save as text file.

nm, got the blob as bytes through webM jdbc adapter template and converted bytes to String.
I was looking for a one time conversion earlier. Anyways Thanks

Hello,
Not sure what you mean by “I was looking for a one time conversion earlier” Please elaborate to help you further.

Naresh,
Exporting .process file (xml data) from WMPROCESSDEFINITION is the right approach if you do not have the latest process with you. Exporting it from database is simple using tools like SQL Developer. Do not complicate by creating adapter, converting byte array etc.,

Screenshot attached that describes how to extract the blob data from db table.

-Senthil

Extactly same as sentil did it

You can get the balloon from WMPROCESSDEFINITION table catechumen it into cord and save as .process book and again acceptation it into designer

Hi

you could use IS service ws.monitor.process.model:getProcessModelXML

returns process definition as XML which is identical to processName.process file in the project.

youl could save as *.process and import into your project

Regards