expand/collapse does not always show..

in the program editor i noticed that the expand/collapse indicators (+ and - signs before the source code) do not show up when i list a source from the command line. When i select it from a list (right click and choose list) they do show up and also when i list a source from within another source (right click on the source name after a callnat/fetch and choose list).

It works like this both in 6.1.1 and 6.3.5

Does anybody know anything about this, is this a bug or a feature ?

thanks
Ronald

Hi Ronald,

I hardly think it is a ‘feature’. :slight_smile:

Perhaps you should create a SL24 request.

Hi Ronald;

I am working with 6.3.5. I do get the expand/collapse indicators when I do a LIST MYPROG from the command line.

By any chance is the program you are LIST’ing in Report Mode? The expand/collapse is only a structured mode feature.

steve

Works in NAT 6.1.1 for me. But I don’t use SPoD…
Does this “feature” occur on local sources or on SPoD-Sources?

I run NAT635.0.

The other day I could reproduce i SPoD environment. This was against a customer NVD server. Today I cannot reproduce in SAG environment.
Maybe it is related to the version of NDV server?

no, that’s not it. When i list the same program by selecting it from a list of modules (right click → list) it does work.

It might be the NDV server, although that would be very strange indeed. These indicators are just a “PC” editor feature, so what does that have to do with the version of the NDV ? Also, it will be difficult for me to test that, since we have only the one version ofcourse…

aha… i just discovered something interesting:

• when i start Natural and i type “L program” i don’t get any +/- signs, whatever i do.

• then i list a few module names (“list progra*”), and list one from there (right click->list). Now i do get +/- signs.

• from that point on, i always get +/- signs, also when i just type “L program” in the command line.

so as soon as i list one source and i get these +/- signs, after that everything works fine… ? Very strange indeed.

And before you ask: yes, i have tried this at least 4 times and every time when i close Natural and start it again, it works like this…

Well, you’re not crazy. I get the same result when following your steps. Using Natural Studion 6.3.3

thanks for that confirmation Jerome. :smiley: What OS are you on ? That might be good information for SAG to know (I’m on XP pro).

is there anybody else who wants to try this, before i report this to SAG ? It might be good to have a few more people who can confirm this (or not…)

thanks

Hi Ronald
I can reproduce this and I checked this with the colleague responsible for the editor in the Natural Studio.
He’s investigating the problem. So I’m confident that it will be solved in the next PL of the Natural Studio (V636 PL01 is the next PL to be release if I’m informed correctly).

Best regards
Klaus

Klaus,

While your checking with your colleague, can you add this to his list?

The expand and collapse markers also show when a block or loop is not properly closed. It gets confused by the EXAMINE … FOR … statement. It appears to believe the FOR in this statement is the beginning of a FOR loop.

After a little trial an error, it appears to only be a problem when the first argument of the examines statement is an array. I am attaching a screenshot so you can see the expand/collapse icons.

The code, if you want to copy/paste is:

IF #A (1) GE ' ' 
  EXAMINE #A (1) FOR #B  
      GIVING INDEX #I 
END-IF 
IF #A (1) GE ' ' 
  EXAMINE #A (1) FOR #B 
  GIVING INDEX #I 
END-IF 
IF #A (1) GE ' ' 
  EXAMINE #A (1) FOR #B GIVING INDEX #I 
END-IF 
IF #A (1) GE ' ' 
  EXAMINE #C FOR #B GIVING INDEX #I 
END-IF 

In the image, you will notice that the first IF is ok, the second and third show as errors and the last one is ok. The only difference between the first and second is a space at the end of the EXAMINE line in the first one.

Thanks, Jerome
Expand-Collapse Errors.bmp (420 KB)

Hi Jerome
It seems it already was on his list :wink:
Because I can reproduce the problem with NAT633 PL0 but not with NAT633 PL01.
So it seems to be solved with PL01

Best regards
Klaus

Excellent!

Is this forum a good way to report bugs, or is there a better option?

Thanks, Jerome

The official site for error reporting is servline24.softwareag.com.

aha…this is good news. Thanks Klaus & Jerome !

just a short follow up on this…

Does anybody know if this has been solved already in some release ? We are now on 6.3.6 SP0, but it still does not work as (I think) it should…

thanks,
Ronald

Hi Ronald
I run nat6.3.9 - and I can’t repro using your cookbook (i.e. restart nat and list a program from command-line).
So appears to be fixed - if I did the right steps :wink:
Finn

ok, thanks Finn.